3 replies to this topic

#1 T04STY

T04STY

RAWR!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
  • Time Online: 4d 23h 23m 23s

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Looking for purchasing advice. I have a photographer friend who is looking to re-design his photobooth he rents out. He currently has a tower and is looking for a much smaller system. I was curious if you guys could make suggestions on the best purchase for him to make? i feel out of the computer loop a bit so i figured some of yall would have some insight into this. much apprecaited!

Here is one he was looking at, and another one i found to compare

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16856102002

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883220176

#2 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,782 posts
  • Vehicle:DSM, Jeep ZJ, 93 IDI 4x4, Enduro and ... ?
  • Time Online: 86d 12h 37m 17s

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'd go i3 over Atom any day, especially for $100 less.

But what does a photo booth do? Does it need much processing power? What are the OS requirements? If he's Linux savvy I'd recommend a $40 Raspberry Pi.

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

#3 T04STY

T04STY

RAWR!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
  • Time Online: 4d 23h 23m 23s

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

its got a camera mounted with a small 7 inch screen. they sit in front of the booth, hit the button on the touchscreen for the pic and it takes a series of pictures. then prints em out to a printer. its like a normal photobooth you see in the malls and stuff but he made it himself. he rents it out for parties, events, wedding receptions, etc. it seems to be gaining popularity all over again. he currently has a fairly big tower but wants to make it fit in a much smaller box hes going to design. so he's looking for a small form factor one that is more portable. 

for 30 bucks more there is the same intel nuc with a thunderbolt port..worth it? 

#4 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,782 posts
  • Vehicle:DSM, Jeep ZJ, 93 IDI 4x4, Enduro and ... ?
  • Time Online: 86d 12h 37m 17s

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Probably for $30, though I wouldn't be surprised if that port had gone unused when he upgrades in a few years :)

I'd say just about any of the net-top class devices will fill this role. I have one of the Acer Revos doing HTPC duty. It plays 1080p just fine, so I suspect that snapping and printing pictures wouldn't be that big a deal for it.

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users