#1 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,327 posts
  • Vehicle:2011 Audi A4

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

So I have been running pretty consistently since Sept 2013 now.

I decided to take my friend up on his offer of a long run this past Saturday of 11miles (no distance I haven't done recently). The only difference was we decided to run the trails on our local mountain. I haven't ran trails in years, and when I did (years ago) I generally stayed off of the technical trails.

Well, my friend decides to take some of the more technical trails on the mountain. It was pretty muddy so the entire run was pretty much through mud and at certain points we had to stop to climb over rocks and/or streams. With that being said, my legs were trashed about halfway through the run. We did some very steep climbs and long rolling hill trails that just killed me since I am not accustomed to running hills like that. Oh, and I fell once and literally almost slide off the side of the mountain. That was fun.

Anyway, I had to stop and walk a portion of the last mile. I just couldn't get my legs to move any more. I was starting to trip over rocks while running because of how tired my legs were. I was able to jog the last 1/2mile back to the car, though. Once there, I realized how fucked up I felt. My hands were shaking slightly, every part of my body felt weak (think flu feeling), and I was STARVING. I quickly downed a bottle of water, finished stretching, then met a friend for lunch.

Has anyone else ever exhausted themselves to this point before? I have pushed myself above and beyond my limits many times over the past 10 years of running, but this is the first time I had ever felt this exhausted after a run. It's crazy because last month I did 11miles at 7min per mile pace with a friend and felt perfectly fine after, but with all of the hills, mud, etc on the mountain it completely wore me out.

I did run 5miles on Sunday to help with any soreness, but to my surprise I wasn't too sore. My stomach, however, was completely fucked for a solid 48hours after this event. No appetite, diarreaha, etc. Not quite sure why that happened...

Your resident Alabamian.

#2 pdr

pdr

balls

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,237 posts
  • Time Online: 76d 12h 59m 26s

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

What color was your urine? Hoping it wasn't a mild case of rhabdo. Are you okay now? 

#3 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • 21,327 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

I'm much better now.

Edit: Although when I ran 6miles on Tuesday (took Monday off since I felt awful), my stomach didn't feel too great on the run. I took yesterday and today off from running to speed up any recovery.

Urine was fine (clear, slight yellow) and I was hydrated by Saturday night. The stomach part is what messed me up. Explosive diarreha, dark coloring, and awful gas. No nausea or vomiting, though. Lasted a solid 48 hours and was awful.

Edited by Beck, 27 February 2014 - 09:12 AM.

Your resident Alabamian.

#4 pdr

pdr

balls

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,237 posts
  • Time Online: 76d 12h 59m 26s

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Well when you exert yourself physically your stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) activate which in turn "shut down" your immune system. That's why some people feel sick after exercise. Sounds like you pushed yourself way beyond your limits and you just had a full system breakdown. Were you high up? If so altitude may have played a part in the system beatdown. Running over terrain is so very different kinetically than running on flat surfaces. Your body experienced quite the shock.

If you're fine now then I wouldn't worry about it since your symptoms don't reflect rhabdomyolysis. If you're still unsure definitely see a doc, preferably one who knows spoooorts. Now you know what you're capable of, and what not to do.  :D

#5 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • 21,327 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

This is a mountain, but nothing of significant altitude. It seriously just blew my mind how wore out I was. Like I said, over the years I have done some serious workouts/races and nothing compares to how I felt Saturday.

No more trail running for a little while for me haha.

Your resident Alabamian.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users