#1 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,327 posts
  • Vehicle:2011 Audi A4

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

A couple of you may have seen my post on FB, but last week I went to my GI doctor for an endoscopy to try to find out why I am having some upper GI issues. Once I was hooked up to the EKG and put under anethesia, they noticed my heart rythym (not HR or BP) was irregular. My HR was 41-43 and my BP was 118/66, so those were great. They chose to be more safe than sorry and pulled me out of anesthesia without starting the procedure. They referred me to The Heart Center here in town to see a cardiologist to see what was up.

The next day I see the cardiologist (they got me in quick). My EKG reads the same which is indicative of an enlarged heart (specifically the left ventricle). He asks if I have a long list of symptoms, which I don't, and if I have any family history of heart disease (which I don't). We scheduled a stress test and echocardiogram for tomorrow morning.

My wife and her sister (a former cardiac nurse) did a lot of research and found that there is such a diagnosis of "Athlete's Heart". It is difficult to diagnose because it shows the same characteristics of a different (and more problematic) rythym. Basically this just means that since I have put my heart/body through years of strenuous activity, it has grown in size to accomodate and changed rythym. This change in rythym is to slow my HR and make the heart more efficient during high stress. Assuming the echocardiogram comes back fine and I don't have any leaks or weak spots, this is just the way my heart is and there really aren't any issues.

The stress test will be a treadmill test and I am kind of looking forward to that as I see it as a challenge - especially since I haven't ran in a week because of this. My wife is going to be there and I'm going to try to get her to video part of the test. :D

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting case. Until my wife told me about Athlete's Heart, I was actually freaking out just a little bit. I was thinking out of ALL of my body parts, my heart should be the thing with the least amount of issues since I've conditioned it for so long.

I'll post back tomorrow after the tests and hopefully I'll know the results tommorrow as well.

Edited by Becky My Darling, 25 August 2014 - 07:31 AM.

Your resident Alabamian.

#2 muk

muk

Muk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts
  • Vehicle:FORD
  • Time Online: 27d 15h 19m 39s

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hoping for the best man!

#3 Russyo

Russyo

Yuhhh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,900 posts
  • Vehicle:Changes rapidly
  • Time Online: 5d 7h 46m 16s

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

So you have a freak heart and all runners should be jealous, nice. 

Hope everything comes back positive for you.  Def not the best thing to hear from your Doctors.  

Helping Orphans 1 fence at a time.
Fences For Orphans -http://www.fencesfororphans.org/

#4 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • 21,327 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Went in for my stress test today to see if we can figure out if anything bad is causing my abnormal heart rhythm.

I asked them what the record was when I got there and apparently it doesn't go any longer than 21min. You start out walking and every 3min they increase the incline by 5% and the speed.

Lasted until 17min which was a 20% incline. Apparently I need to do more hill workouts because everything felt great except my legs were shot. It was interesting to watch my HR after I passed 165. After 165, every increase in speed or incline only amounted to very small increases in HR (usually 4-5bpm) whereas under 165 would see around a 15bpm increase. HR was 184 when I stopped.

Results from the stress test and echocardiogram both initially look normal. Normal heart size and nothing in particular standing out that should pose any issues. Should hear back from the Dr after he reviews the tests, though.

Your resident Alabamian.

#5 BenCronin04

BenCronin04

di obsessed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Vehicle:Truck
  • Time Online: 47d 52m 32s

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Good stuff.

#6 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • 21,327 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

I just got a call from the cardiologist informing me that my heart is normal sized and very healthy. All valves look great, no weak spots, no leaks. I just have a VERY abnormal heart rhythm that scares the crap out of most doctors haha.

I am scheduling an in person consult with the Dr. and will probably get a second opinion just in case, but everything is looking good. It has been a very stressful past 2 weeks and we are really thankful for good news.

Your resident Alabamian.

#7 muk

muk

Muk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts
  • Vehicle:FORD
  • Time Online: 27d 15h 19m 39s

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Good to hear man! :thumbup:

#8 Becky My Darling

Becky My Darling

Your Resident Alabamian

• Validating
  • 21,327 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Thanks!

Someone showed me this link that I think explains what this condition is derived from.

http://eurheartj.oxf...rtj.ehp473.full

Although, I do not have cardiomyopathy.

Edited by Becky My Darling, 02 September 2014 - 11:23 AM.

Your resident Alabamian.

#9 MNazary

MNazary

di addict

• DI Premium Donator
  • 4,894 posts
  • Vehicle:2012 KIA Optima EX, 2002 CBR600F4i
  • Time Online: 33d 11h 57m 21s

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Awesome dude!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users