Photo

Need stereo wiring help

19 replies to this topic

#1 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts
  • Vehicle:DSM, Jeep ZJ, 93 IDI 4x4, Enduro and ... ?
  • Time Online: 86d 12h 37m 17s

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

My truck had the original 1993 cassette deck in it and half of the speakers were blown. So I did what any DSMer would do and went on Amazon and bought a bunch of cheap junk to replace everything. It really is amazing that you can get an AM/FM receiver with USB, aux in and an SD card that plays MP3s for $25. 

Anyway - I replaced the head unit and the speakers as that's just swapping parts, but I also bought one of those sub tube thingies. Again, it's not a good one, but it about has to be better than what was in there. It supposedly has a low pass filter (I think that's what it's called - the thing that pulls out the bass frequencies) built into it, so I guess it'll work. 

Now ... Here are my two questions.

1) Do I need an amp to drive it? I know it will sound better and be lots louder if I have one, but do I strictly NEED one? 

2) The tube has two terminals - black and red - and I know what those mean. What I don't know is which speaker channel I wire them into. Do I splice both rear speaker channels and run both into it? 

As you can tell, I'm not a car audio guy, and I don't care anything about becoming one. I just want to be able to hear the radio over that rattle box diesel. 

Help me Becki-won Kenobi. You're my only hope!

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

#2 wizzurp

wizzurp

Designated zombie sniper

• DI Premium Donator
  • 4,735 posts
  • Vehicle:2zz-ge of fury
  • Time Online: 19d 36m 35s

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

It won't sound great if you run it straight off the rear channels, not enough wattage. I doubt it has a low pass honestly unless you know it has a filter wired in. Try it run off one side, try it off both, it'll take a couple minutes to play with it but at least you'll know. If it sounds decent enough for you congrats, you saved yourself some wiring and purchasing an amp. In all honesty I doubt a 25 dollar deck has a lot of rms wattage though so it'll probably sound like ass.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Sounds surprisingly good to me, but I'm far from an audiophile. Too many years of guns and loud cars.  Sounds better than what was in it anyway. :)

I thought about getting a little amp just to drive the sub. Thoughts on that? I just don't want to be one of these guys with wires and giant capacitors and shit everywhere. I just want to listen to tunes and have them sound decent.

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

#4 wizzurp

wizzurp

Designated zombie sniper

• DI Premium Donator
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

If you like the way it sounds, I'd just leave it unless it isn't doing what you want. It is probably a low rms driver in a high efficiency ported tube.

#5 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

This is the tube: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PLTB10 is the model on the box.

#6 wizzurp

wizzurp

Designated zombie sniper

• DI Premium Donator
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

I find the preceeding statement humerous!, it's a pyle of crap but if you like it that's all that matters. I've got a small passive sony home theater sub I picked up at goodwill for 7 bucks in my car (run off a quality amp) when I got tired of having a 2.5ft^2 box taking up my cargo area in my hatch. 

#7 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

:D Like I said - I know dick about stereo stuff. I was just thrilled to outfit the entire truck for <$150. I spent more than that on my CB setup.

#8 ligo12

ligo12

di obsessed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts
  • Time Online: 19d 10h 34s

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I did that for 8 years. got about ten amps laying around, flip out screen Shit, speakers. ask next time fucker. I'll bring by a 10" in a box and dig up an amp. to answer your question: 1 yes. head unit produces 12 watts a channel, don't give a fuck what it says.... look at the opamp. 2 black and red is polarity. all speakers should push out at the same time, yes it's not that simple. always over power the fuck out your speakers. they will last longer. again another not that simple complicated explanation is under that. buy power and cheap speakers not good speakers and no power.
Screenshot_2015-01-27-22-27-22_zps9b8133

#9 ligo12

ligo12

di obsessed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

fucking spaces are gone again.

#10 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Bring me a cheapie amp for those seats then :) Something under 300 watt judging by the reviews an Amazon

#11 wizzurp

wizzurp

Designated zombie sniper

• DI Premium Donator
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Brian has a lot of nice stereo crap in his shop that you probably could have had for the same price haha.

#12 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Nice gear doesn't belong in that truck. Hence the Walmart level speakers and head unit.

#13 Guest_Jenniferaqr_*

Guest_Jenniferaqr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

thumb drives polaroid 52 iguana cage raw hair dye mailboxes = 15 slots saccharin side effects planet e books co baseball ceiling light Jordan 11 hp 12c case back racks serge lutens miel de bois wholesale children's clothing ruby on rails girl toys panasonic digital camera battery snes super mario world p50 western hats ¥°¥Ã¥Á ¥Ð¥Ã¥° prepaid wireless nike sports race class gender pessoa saddle norton system works 2003 download return of the king dvd cheap dells black and decker toasters mini i pod random walks in biology ¥¯¥í¥¨ µêÅn accurate data transfer man prada juicit rotimi suberu first national card 1

#14 wizzurp

wizzurp

Designated zombie sniper

• DI Premium Donator
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hot damn jenni!

#15 Russyo

Russyo

Yuhhh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,900 posts
  • Vehicle:Changes rapidly
  • Time Online: 5d 7h 46m 16s

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

So what happened?

Helping Orphans 1 fence at a time.
Fences For Orphans -http://www.fencesfororphans.org/

#16 ligo12

ligo12

di obsessed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

eBay happened.

#17 Russyo

Russyo

Yuhhh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,900 posts
  • Vehicle:Changes rapidly
  • Time Online: 5d 7h 46m 16s

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

What did we win??

Helping Orphans 1 fence at a time.
Fences For Orphans -http://www.fencesfororphans.org/

#18 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

BOFH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

I moved and just found the amp yesterday. The install is behind getting my tractor running again, mounting my TV, unpacking the rest of the boxes, picking up a box blade for said tractor, blah, blah, blah. No progress yet.

#19 BenCronin04

BenCronin04

di obsessed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Vehicle:Truck
  • Time Online: 47d 52m 32s

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Brian(I can't pm you)

If you are looking to get rid of some let me know. I'm just looking for an ok 10" sub, box and amp to push. Running stock speakers and head unit, so nothing crazy. Message me if you're interested.

#20 Guest_bisladola_*

Guest_bisladola_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

Purchased an REC navigation radio, but need a GPS antenna in order to even access the settings. Best price Ive found online was around 75 for an OEM part. Are there any good aftermarket antennas out there, or are they all junk? Anyone got a used antenna they dont need? Any help is appreciated

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users